Monday, November 10, 2014

You've Got To Know HOW To Fold 'Em


          TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 11TH

  Everybody knows, or should know, it's Veteran's Day.
   And everybody is, or should be, remembering our
veterans, past and present!
   But November 11th marks another "holiday" as well
and there's a pretty good chance you never knew it!
   Today is "Origami Day!"
   Now, as we all know, Origami is the Art of folding
objects out of paper without cutting, pasting, or decorating
it. You knew that.....didn't you? 
   Hey....I had to look it up!
   In a sense Origami Day shares the same origin as
Veterans Day!
   November 11 is also World Peace Memorial Day
and the symbol of World Peace is a Crane, fashioned
out of folded paper!
    I've done a bit of paper folding myself over the
years. Primarily back in my "school days"
    I never made any cranes.
    My expertise was Paper Airplanes.
    Usually, we judged success more by distance
of flight rather than artistic design.
    Some students tended to favor "spit balls." I'm
not sure any of them  fit the artistic qualifications
for origami.
    I must also tell you that Origami art isn't limited
to traditional sheets of white paper.
    I found an entire web site with step by step instructions
on how to create an elephant, a butterfly, a ring, a tee shirt,
a heart, a bow tie, or a pixie shoe by folding a dollar bill!
   I checked my wallet. I've only got enough for a ring and
a pixie shoe!
   I think I'll just keep them as they are. Flat and a little
crinkled
   But the rest of you, with talent, ought to think about
celebrating a bit today by taking a piece of paper, or
a dollar bill, and folding it into the form of a crane to
mark World Peace Day!
    I hope you've got the dollar to do it and that all your
NEWS is good!




































  
   


  



No comments:

Post a Comment