Sunday, November 2, 2014

Hey Kids! What Time Is It?


   Back in the day everybody knew the
answer to the question, "Hey kids. What
time is it" It was Howdy Doody Time!
   Today the answer isn't so certain!
   Around here all of you probably got
up at 2am and set your clocks back one
hour as Daylight Savings Time came to
an end. Sure you did!
    My wife and  began the task around
8 last night. That's 8, EDST.
    First job, remembering all the time
keeping devices we have around the
house. When it comes right down to it
we've only got two clocks. But there
are other appliances that include dials
on which the time is displayed.
    Our stove includes a clock. Our
microwave has a time display. Our
video recorders, I've got a couple, show
the time. And, at last count, I've got
two "clock radios" in the house.
    Soon after taking an hour off of
everything you can think of you
suddenly realize that each of those
devices displays a different time!
     One or two clocks are purposely
set a couple minutes ahead of the
actual time. I think we used to have
a good reason for doing that. I just
can't remember what it was. It
probably stems from the days when
we actually had jobs and had to be
on time for things.
    Then there's a minute or two
difference on displays caused by the
fact we were trying to set everything to
the same time but took 5 minutes to do
it!
    A couple of our video recorders will
adjust to Standard time automatically.
I'll find out which when the ones I
adjusted show the wrong time today. 
    Then there's the clock displays on
the car radios. One is easy. Another
will take a search for the instructions.
A third will simply wait till Daylight
Savings Time returns because I've
never been able to figure it out.
    So, if you happen to see me and
ask for the time, I'll just check my
wrist watch. If I remember to set it!
    Hope you enjoyed that extra hour
of sleep and that all your NEWS is
good!





No comments:

Post a Comment