Sunday, November 9, 2014

Mama Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys!


   I've always liked Western movies. They
were the main stay of my neighborhood
movie theaters when I was growing up.
   And, like most boys born in the 1940's
there were certainly a few years when I was
sure I wanted to be a Cowboy when I grew
up.
   Of course my vision of those cowboys was
formed by the old movies with Roy Rogers,
Gene Autry, and lesser know matinee stars
like Johnny Mac Brown and "Lash" Larue.
   They don't make cowboys like that anymore.
   Somewhere along the line my childhood
ambition changed. I listened to a lot of
radio and decided I'd rather be on the air
than living among cows.
    I've never completely lost my interest
though.
   I got right back in the mood a couple
years ago when my wife and I were hosting
a tour to National Parks.
   One of the stops was in Jackson, Wyoming
where local performers stage an old fashion
western gun fight in the middle of the street
for all the tourists every afternoon.
   Then there was a Covered wagon ride to
a cowboy bar-b-q, with an indian attack
thrown in for good measure.
    So motivated, I stopped at a local shop
and bought my own western hat. In reality,
it was probably one size too small. I could
get away with wearing it. But I realized
it wasn't really right.
    Earlier this year a good buddy told me
he had one he seldom wore and offered
it to me. I was happy to get it. But after
wearing it a couple times, or maybe after
a haircut, it suddenly seemed about one
size too big.
    Then, about two weeks ago, we joined
several friends for lunch at Cracker
Barrel in Binghamton, New York.
    Guess what they were selling in their
store?
    Yep! And I bought one!
    Just like the story of the three bears
and their porage, this one seems "just
right." 
     It's about as "cowboy" as I dare get.
     If you happen to see me, just say
"Howdy Dave."
     Hope your trails are all happy and
that all your NEWS is good!



No comments:

Post a Comment