Saturday, November 29, 2014

INTO THE WOODS!


   It was me against the elements, against
attacks, against wild beasts, and the wild
man of the mountain!
   It started out innocently enough.
   Several family members invited me to
come along as they went out to pick their
perfect Christmas tree.
    I assumed it would be more difficult
than my yearly trip to the shed to put out
our artificial, yet traditional tree.
    Perhaps, I thought, we'd drive up to one
of those road side lots where live trees are
stacked up against 2 by 4 planks to give
you a good look. I was wrong.
    I learned we were headed for some sort
of Tree Farm where customers hike into
the woods to pick the tree of their dreams.
    It wasn't until we actually began to
walk that I realized these trees were not
only in the woods....but planted high atop
what seemed to be a mountainside.
    We hiked through the snow and up hills
so steep I was certain we were about to
come across a sign reading "Welcome To
Everest!" The further we got the more I
worried we had somehow stumbled onto
the route used by the Donner Party.
    Then came the attack! No. Not Indians.
It was a snowball. Deliberately tossed in
my direction. Accurately I might add!
     Minutes later I spotted the huge bear.
OK. So it turned out to be my grand
daughter's Golden Retriever. Hey it could
have been a bear!
     The wild  man of the mountain showed
up next. He did look a bit short. That's
when I noticed it was my grandson in
a beard-like wind protector designed by
my wife.
     While the gang looked for their trees
I contemplated the return trip and
wondered if Life Flight could land
anywhere near me. Since there didn't
seem to be a landing zone I began my
descent and, fortunately, remanded
upright throughout the trip.
    By the way, the others tagged their
trees for retrieval in a few days.
     I'd come along. But I expect to be
hauling our tree out of the shed that
day!
     Hope you're ready to decorate and
that all your NEWS is good.






No comments:

Post a Comment