Thursday, June 25, 2015

Celebrating...Without Me!

         FRIDAY, JUNE 26th.

 CELEBRATING,,,WITHOUT ME!

  You all know I'm fond of pointing
out unusual holidays. Yesterday, for
instance, I noted National Catfish
Day.
   Some of these lesser know holidays
are official. Others are not.
   I only wish I could observe today's
holiday. It's Drive your Corvette to
work day! It celebrates the Corvette's
birth in June of 1953.
   I don't mine not having any work
to drive to. But I'm a little upset about
not having the Corvette!
   I did own one once. It was a 1961
which I bought used sometime around
1963. The car had some unique
features. One, I suspect, was not
suppose to be included in the vehicle.
    My Corvette would come out of
4th gear whenever it choose to do so.
That was usually at 65 miles per hour
driving along the interstate highway!
    I took it back to my Used Car
Salesmen, a man who typified the
unpopular stereotype of the profession,
who promised a quick repair.
    A day or so later my car was ready.
But, apparently, the paper clip or
whatever was used to correct my
problem didn't last more than a couple
hours and I found myself cruising
along....out of gear.
     Though I only owned the car a
few weeks I discovered it was the only
vehicle I ever owned where I could
physically see the gas gauge moving.
Downwards of course.
     I ended up trading my Vette for
a big Chevy convertible with a
Corvette engine and a 4-speed Hurst
Shift on the floor. I held on to that
one for a couple years until my then
wife-to-be suggested it's lavender
color was not her favorite.
       I miss the Corvette sometimes.
On days like today when I should
be driving it to work...or...somewhere.
And on the days when I realize the
car I paid about $3,500 for is now
worth above $30,000!
       Hope whoever has it now can
keep it in gear, and that all your
NEWS is good!
      (Not mine, But just like it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment