Saturday, June 20, 2015

La famiglia

     SUNDAY, JUNE 21ST

         LA FAMIGLIA

    My Dad would be happy and proud.
For more years than I can count at the
moment "La famiglia," the family, has
preserved the tradition of enjoying a
vacation, together, in Wildwood, New
Jersey.
     My late father started going to the
shore many years before I came along.
But I grew up looking forward to that
one summer week when my Dad, my
Mom, and my brother would vacation
in Wildwood. In fact my first memory
of being there was when I was three-
years-old and was allowed, in fact
encouraged, to keep beeping the horn
on my Dad's car!  We were at the
shore when the news came out that the
Japanese had surrendered and World
War II was over!
     When my brother went off to
college I was allowed to bring a
friend along. But somewhere in
my late teens Dad often had to be
away working backstage for
professional plays and the annual
Wildwood trip faded away.
     I went with a friend on our own
a time or two. But the family trips
we had all enjoyed were gone.
     When my Mom passed away I
knew my Dad needed something
to look forward to. My brother and
I decided that a family Wildwood
trip was just the ticket! And so it
was! Dad loved the place and the
idea!
     My wife and I took our three
kids. My brother and his wife took
their three kids. And we put Dad in
charge of planning. A chore he
truly welcomed.
     After Dad passed on we
continued the tradition although
conflicting schedules made it
virtually impossible to get my gang
and my brother's together as the
same time.
      Of course by then, my kids had
kids of their own. So we continued
the tradition!
     Last week a dozen of us and one
family friend were back in Wildwood
enjoying the ocean, the boardwalk,
and, most of all, each other! One son-
in-law was stuck with work. As far as
I know someone is bringing some
fudge, taffy, or, at least, some sand
back home for him to remind him
he was missed.
     My Dad, and Mom, and
brother are all gone now. I think they
left a bit of their hearts in the sand at
the shore. I suspect they, and my son
-in-law were all with us in spirit last
week.
     Time has made me the family
patriarch now so I'll do my best
to keep the tradition going. Next
year we expect to have a new
grandson to make his first visit.
And, someday, maybe he'll be
leading a family vacation to the
place we've all come to enjoy.....
together....as a family!
     So, on this Father's Day, I'm
feeling like all our NEWS is
good. Thanks Dad. And thanks
to my famiglia!


No comments:

Post a Comment