Monday, July 15, 2019

AUF WIEDERSEHEN BUG!


    TUESDAY, JULY 16TH., 2019
      AUF WIEDERSEHEN BUG!

   I was saddened to hear the news this week
that the last Volkswagen Beetle rolled off
the assembly line on Wednesday!
   Of course the vehicle of which I write was
actually the latest generation of the classic
VW which was originally born under the
direction of Adolf Hitler. Nice to know
the guy got one thing right!
   They were really big during the hippie era
in the U.S. when you could buy a brand new
Beetle for about $1,700! Restored originals
will cost you a lot more today and there are
still plenty of them running!
    Speaking of hippies my former sister-
in-law drove her kids across country in
a multi colored VW bus she painted herself!
    I never owned a VW but my late brother
did. I remember borrowing it one night for
a double date. I had a two seat Austin Healy
Sprite at the time. The VW was the easiest
stick shift I ever worked. Smooth as butter!
    Later I drove one of those VW station
wagons. The owner of WMJW bought one
although I was never sure why!
    Our station was located on top of a
mountain and you were down to about 10
miles an hour before you got half way up!
     The Bug hasn't been manufactured in
Germany since the 1970's. The last
assembly line was in Mexico. Maybe they
can't get them over the wall?
      Anyhow, the VW story isn't quite over.
The company plans a reappearance in 2022
with an electric Bug.
      It's OK. I don't double date anymore
anyway.
      Hope they preserve Herbie and that
all your NEWS is good!
   
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment