Friday, May 1, 2020

MILESTONES

  SATURDAY, MAY 2ND., 2020
             MILESTONES!

  We've been marking a lot of milestones
in our family over the past few weeks.
Birthdays and anniversaries for the most
part. But there is one I've neglected to
mention up till now. It was 3 years ago
this week that I made my final visit to
the mound!
     I've always loved baseball and
played softball, mainly as a pitcher
from my teenage years till I hit 70.
    My wife was always worried I
might get injured so it was a bit ironic
that she was at bat and I was pitching
when family and friends gathered for
a Wiffle ball game in our church
parking lot.
     The story varies at this point
depending on the teller. My wife
describes her hit as a solid line drive.
I recall a ground ball to my right.
      I turned quickly only to see my then
2 year old grandson in my path..stumbled
and found myself on the rock covered
ground with was what I thought was a
broken knee. Our Pastor, a former
combat medic, came to my aid
while admitting must of the injured
he treated had gunshot wounds.
    Not wishing to be shot to qualify
for treatment I allowed him to check
my injuries as they were.
      Turns out my knee wasn't broken
though, in a sense, my spirit was. I
haven't played since. The story is
true with the possible exception of
my wife's description of het at bat.
       Hope you're all Safe at home
and that all your NEWS is good!   

No comments:

Post a Comment