Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Hiwaiian Diet


    After a week on Hawaii's Big Island
I am beginning to get a better idea of
how residents survive in an area where
I haven't seen a Cracker Barrel or Abe's
Hot Dog outlet in any of my travels.
    Now to be perfectly honest there are
restaurants and even a McDonalds just
about an hour away from where we're
staying. And we even were able to buy
a large hotdog at a Costco's outlet for
just $1.59 with unlimited refills on our
soft drinks.
    But you don't need a superstore to
find food around here.
    Nearly everyone seems to have a
Banana tree, Coconut Palm, or
Pineapple plants.
    They're even growing fruit here I
never heard of. Like the Rambutan.
     I'm always a bit reluctant when
someone invites me to bite into
something I've never seen and can't
pronounce. But, brave guy that I am,
I gave one a try.....before I ate the rest.
     Then there is the Malasada!
     It doesn't grow here. But it's made
here. Hugh chunks of dough rolled
and baked on the premises then
filled with your choice of Apple,
Strawberry, Cream, or Chocolate.
    We got a dozen. I didn't have to
count them. I carried them. The
weight assured me our box was
filled! As were all of us after a very
short time!
     Hope I have room for dessert and
that all your NEWS is good!





   
    

No comments:

Post a Comment