Friday, July 17, 2015

Putt, Putt!

     SATURDAY, JULY 18TH

             PUTT, PUTT!

     I gave up golf many years ago.
My slice was so severe I only saw
the others in my foursome at the
tee and on the green. They walked
the fairway together while I hiked
the edge of the course, usually in
the thick brush searching for my
golf ball.
      But then miniature golf came
along. No long walks or lost golf
balls. All you had to do was putt
the ball through an obstacle like
a turning windmill and into the
hole. Well that's the way it used
to be.
     Somewhere the diabolical
people who design miniature golf
courses are doing away with the
windmills and setting up courses
that will drive you mad!
     I joined some family members
on one such course yesterday. It
was designed around a castle. But
a knight would have a tough time
holding his temper after attacking
the dragon and other obstacles set
up to challenge players.
     One hole was clearly out in
the open just about 30 feet away.
But that hole was set up at the top of
what looked like an ant hole. Unless
you struck the ball at exactly the
right speed and trajectory, and
enjoyed a bit of luck, you could
count on taking the 5-stroke limit!
     The easier the holes looked the
more deceiving they were and
the more laughs the designers
were having at my expense!
      I came away feeling as if I
had done 18 holes at Pebble
Beach with just a putter! And this
was Mini Golf! I did strike the ball
a few fewer times than the rest of
my party....so...I did win! And,
actually, we all win when we're
out together!
    Still, I hope they bring back
the windmills...and that all your
NEWS is good!


     
       
    


No comments:

Post a Comment