Friday, August 21, 2015

Italian Scenery

     SATURDAY, AUGUST 22ND.

          ITALIAN SCENERY

      As many of you know by now my
wife and I will be hosting a tour to
Italy for Travelworld next May. The
brochure came off the presses yesterday
and the trip looks really great!
      Although I grew up in what was
then a Hazleton dominated by folks
of Italian ancestry, my Italian experience
is somewhat limited.
      I did take two years of Italian in
High School. But my memory of those
lessons faded away about the same time
they handed me my graduation diploma.
I can say "Pizza" in several languages,
although they all come out.."Pizza."
      I did visit "Little Italy" in New
York one time and I often walk through
downtown Pittston.
      The only time I set foot on Italian
soil was during a side visit to a small
Italian town when we were hosting a
trip to Switzerland several years ago.
We were taken to a restaurant where,
since I was in Italy, I ordered spaghetti.
      My wife may be better versed in
Italian culture.
      She grew up in a home where her
mom and aunt often exchanged words
in Italian while they were making and
drying spaghetti in the kitchen. While
she never actually spoke the language,
she tells me she could pick up a word
here or there. If only they knew!
      Several years ago she joined a tour
group heading to Italy.
       She has seen the Coliseum. She
has seen the Sistine Chapel and gazed
at the art work of Michelangelo. That's
a lot of Italian scenery!
       But, in a sense, we're equal. I saw
Sophia Loren when she visited Wilkes-
Barre a few years back! She was born
in Rome and we're going there. So,
I hope.............all your NEWS is good!
      




No comments:

Post a Comment