Monday, August 17, 2015

Time For A Rhyme!

      TUESDAY, AUGUST 18TH,

        TIME FOR A RHYME!

    
   This is another one of those 'Special Days'
that don't get much recognition. And, in this
case, I can understand why!
   August 18th is "Bad Poetry Day!"
   It was created by the folks at  'Welcat.com.'
   The idea was to get some former High School
friends together to intentionally write some bad
poetry which they would then send to an old
High School teacher. Presumably their old
English teacher!
    I take issue with the day because I've been
writing poetry for many years! Long before I
became a DJ and then a news reporter I was
writing poetry for school newspapers or just
for fun. My Mom used to write poetry so
maybe I took after her.
    In later life I wrote some stuff designed to
get a laugh or two. I guess some people would
consider that  'bad poetry.'  But might not 'bad',
like 'beauty', be in the eye or, in this case, ear
of the beholder?
    For instance....can't you just picture the
scene when you take in this verse?
    "I shot an arrow
     into the air.
     It came to earth
     I know not   (swish!..Ah...thud!)"

    The last part, of course, is done as a sound
 effect!
     OK. How about this one?
     "Little birdy
      In the cage.
      How I wonder
      What your age......is."

       I call that 'blank verse.'
       So what do you think?
       Do I have it or do I have it?
       I can't send them to any of my
old English teachers!
        They're all dead!
        I actually wrote one aboard a train
 traveling through British Columbia as
 part of a poetry competition and took
 first place! One of these days, if I feel
 it fits a more serious Blog, I'll share it
 with you.
        But, since this is 'Bad Poetry Day'
 I'll close with this one written just for
 the occasion.
        'They're looking for bad poetry
         with words set down in verse.
         I'm sure they'll get some terrible ones.
         But mine may be the worst!
         I started with my mind all blank.
         Like being in a fog.
         I should have kept them to myself.
         But now they're in my Blog!

         So my advice to others
         is to write the way you should!
         Enjoy the day, May it go your way.
         And may all your NEWS be good!





(Longfellow)






(DeCosmo)







        

No comments:

Post a Comment