Saturday, August 29, 2015

TRADITION!

   SUNDAY, AUGUST 29TH

          TRADITION!

    Many years ago somebody whose
last name was Singley decided it
might be a good idea to get Moms
and Dads, aunts and uncles, and
cousins together for a family outing.
     They gathered at a small church
in Zion Grove, Schuylkill County,
had a brief worship service, then
gathered around tables where they
shared home made foods and a lot
of family stories.
      104 years later the descendants
of those Singleys, including me and
several of my family members, met
again. First at the same small church
and then at the nearby Singley Farm
which remains in the family after all
those years.
       It's the only time most of these
folks, who share the same blood line,
get together.
       We still share a lot of home made
food and there are more family stories
than ever!
        Although all the research has been
done and is available I think it's safe to
say most of those who attend don't
really know how we're all related. The
family has spread out a lot over the
years.
       What's really nice is to see the kids
in attendance! They're the ones who will
have to carry on this tradition after the
current "older generation" is gone.
        A few years back somebody was
smart enough to start bringing some
games for the younger set. Like a bean
bag toss.
        Then there's the 'Gator,' actually a
newer incarnation of a four wheel drive
off road vehicle that the kids love to ride
in and around the huge cornfields. Of
course they need to be belted in, wear
helmets, and have "a responsible adult"
to do the driving. Usually, when something
happens around my house, my wife says
I'm responsible. So, accordingly, I drove
the kids around.
       I think all the youngsters had a
good time. I did! I enjoyed talking
with 2nd, 3rd, or 4th cousins or
whoever they are. I loved the fresh
corn cooked up in a  open pit fire.
And I loved having so many of my
family, including the newest member
of this clan, get together to share
what is truly a family tradition!
      Hope we're all back next year and
that all their, and your, NEWS is good!






       

No comments:

Post a Comment