Sunday, August 23, 2015

The Old Ball Game

    MONDAY, AUGUST 24TH.

      THE OLD BALL GAME

    I've been watching a lot of baseball
over the past few days. I've caught a
couple innings of my Yankees. But,
mostly, its been the Little Leaguers
competing in the annual World Series
in South Williamsport!
     I've got an interesting connection
to this summer classic even though I
never played in the Little League
myself.
      When I was a kid my friends and I
played a lot of Wiffle Ball. I couldn't
help but excel. I was a year or two
older than my neighbors, we played
in my back yard, and I owned the bat
and most of the Wiffle Balls! Talk
about a "No lose situation!"
     Later the gang of us played pick
up games in a semi-natural "stadium"
formed between two banks holding up
railroad tracks running in different
directions. It was a little tough to
slide on the coal waste material that
made up our infield!
      When I got a little older Softball
became my game and I played it for
many years! I had a fair amount of
success.
      It was while covering a story in
Williamsport a few years back when
I discovered, quite by accident, that
a relative of mine played on the
winning team in the very first Little
League World Series. His name
was Ray Singley. That's my middle
name! Not Ray. Singley. It was my
Mom's maiden name.
      Ray played for the Maynard
Midgets. The series wasn't really
a "world" event back then. More
like a Championship between area
teams. Still, it was the first in what
has become a major International
competition!
      Watching the kids play the game,
knowing the family tie to the series,
and remembering my Softball days,
makes me feel good. I last pitched
two years ago, for the WYOU/WBRE
team in one of those pick up games.
If my wife has her way it will have
been the last game I play. But, if
that's the case, at least I got the "Win."
      And, if I do ever play again, hope
it's not against any of the Little Leaguers
I've been watching! Or Ray! Also hope
all your NEWS is good!


 






No comments:

Post a Comment