Wednesday, January 2, 2019

THAT'S THE LAST STRAW!


  THURSDAY, JANUARY 3RD., 2019
     THAT'S THE LAST STRAW!

   It seems the straw is becoming an
endangered species! A number of
corporations have pledged to
discontinue the use of straws with the
beverages they serve.
   I bring it up today because, as it
happens, January 3rd is "National
Drinking Straw Day!"
   A gentleman named Marvin C.
Stone received a patent for the
drinking straw on January 3rd.,
1888! He came up with the idea
after trying to drink a cocktail
through a tube made of Rye which
got fibers stuck in his teeth and
distorted the taste of his beverage.
     Now a days it's the straws that
are getting stuck in the throats of
some fish that find them in the
ocean discarded as garbage.
      There's also the concern about
the use of oil to produce the plastic
from which most straws are made.
       Straws helped save my life
last year. After surgery on my lip
my only sustenance came through a
straw! Admittedly it was tough
getting the chicken from the chicken
noddle soup through. But I managed!
       I'm not anxious to kill any fish
or drive up oil prices but, personally,
I'd hate to see the straw disappear.
I love opening my end of the wrapper
and using my straw as a blowgun to
shot that paper covering at my wife
or somebody else at our table! It's
often the hit of dinner!
       Hope the straw, in some form,
survives and that all your NEWS is
good.

No comments:

Post a Comment