Sunday, February 3, 2013

But Don't Go Near The Water!


    It was a neat Saturday family excursion.
    But I must admit I heard the tune and lyrics
from "North To Alaska" running through my
mind as we walked around Nescopeck State
Park.
    There was a Dog Sled. A team of blue eyed
Huskies, and a camp fire burning in the middle
of a snowy field to provide a bit of warmth in
the bitter cold.
     It was all part of "Winterfest", an opportunity
for visitors to learn a little about nature.
     Several of the activities were staged outside.
     My grandson and I took part in a "Scavenger
Hunt" searching for treasures like acorns, leaves,
and different color and shaped rocks. Did you
know that rocks freeze in the ground and are not
very willing to be moved at this time of year?
We do..........now.
      The temperature ranged between 25 and 30
degrees. We were dressed for the cold and took
advantage of the fire pit every so often in an
attempt to neutralize the frigid wind.
       But I did get a chill!
       It happened when they talked about a
volunteer to climb into a hole they cut in
the frozen lake to demonstrate an ice rescue!
       For just a minute I thought they were
looking for someone to volunteer. That froze me
in my tracks! You know, like that time in class
when the teacher asks a question and, somehow,
you feel sure she's going to call on you when
you know for sure you don't know the answer!
       Actually, they already had a volunteer
firemen standing by in a "Dry Suit" and fully
prepared to go jump in the lake! He did and,
thankfully, got himself out using several
techniques he's hoping we'll all remember....just
in case!
       I had one other troubling moment!
       I though I lost my brand new pedometer. I
had fastened it on my belt. But, when I when to
check, it wasn't there!
       I reported it to the Park officers then set about
retracing my steps in the scavenger hunt to see if
there was any chance I might find this needle in
a very large haystack! I looked for just under a
half hour. No luck.
       When I returned to the Park Office, where
there's an actual heating system, I took off my
heavy top coa. That's when I realized the
pedometer had somehow become rolled up in the
bottom edge of my sweatshirt!
       According to the read out I had apparently
walked about a mile and a half looking for it!
       How great to be both relieved, warm, and dry!
       Hope you're staying out of the water (at least
for now) and that all your NEWS is good!






































No comments:

Post a Comment