Thursday, February 21, 2013

Wrestling! Don't count it out!


     My TV Remote took me back a few years
last night. And I wasn't on the History Channel!
     It was on the upper end of my television
spectrum. A place I seldom visit. Ch 631 to be
exact. That's an impressive place for a guy who
grew up with just three major networks and a
dozen cable channels!
     Anyway, there it was. WWF Live!
     "Professional" wrestling!
     When I was a kid I remember looking
forward to the day when the big names from the
World Wrestling Federation would make an
appearance at Saint Joseph's Gym in Hazleton.
     Of course they were different names back
then. Chief Big Heart and Haystacks Calhoun
were a couple of my favorites.
    My buddy's mother used to mock me for
going to the matches. "It's all fixed" she'd
insist.
    I countered with the argument that the
end of movies were all arranged long before
I saw them. But, as long as I didn't know the
outcome in advance I was still entertained!
    Year's later my son and some of his friends
started following the "sport."  By then Chief
Big Heart and Haystacks had been replaced with
the likes of  "Hulk Hogan" and "Rowdy Randy
Piper."
    He even had a collection of Wrestling Dolls...
excuse me...Action Figures!
    That's kind of neat because just before the
match I caught way up there on Ch 631, the
announcers were selling a set of Dolls...I mean
Action Figures, that actually move and roll
around much like their real life counterparts
in the ring. See! The more things change the
more they stay the same!
    Still I don't think I'll be buying those new
Doll....Action Figures.
    I can't name today's wrestling "stars." But
I'll bet some of you out there can! And when
it comes right down to it only the names have
changed over all these years!
    Hope you've saved your old dolls...ah...Action
Figures....and that all your NEWS is good!









































   

1 comment:

  1. I use to see the WWF at the Catholic Youth Center in Scranton in the late 80's. Those are some of the best memories of my life!

    ReplyDelete