Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Give Me A Brake!


    Another one of those dashboard warning lights
started lighting up in my van the other day! I hate
when that happens!
    The "Service Engine" light has been glowing
for nearly a year now.
     We made a couple repairs. Each turned the
light off....for about a day. But, each time, it came
back on.
      I finally solved the problem by adjusting the
steering wheel just high enough so I can't see the
light!
     The latest warning to show itself is bright
red! It reads....brakes!
     It suddenly appeared on one of our road trips
then, just as quickly, disappeared! A short time
later I noticed the warning light again. It's been
on again, off again ever since.
     On Saturday evening the glowing red bulb
began to drive me crazy.
     I don't usually use the "Emergency Brake."
But I thought, perhaps, it had somehow been
depressed just slightly causing the light to go on
and off.
    I pushed it to the floor in the hope a solid pull
on the release would turn the light off once and
for all! But the peddle didn't move! Now I had
set the brake in what I assumed was a permanent
"locked on" position!
     Fast forward to today! No glowing brake light
and no brake problem!
     We solved the mystery and the problem. Well,
actually, my wife solved the problem. But she
cheated! She read that book that comes with each
car in the Glove compartment. I think it's called
an "Owner's Manual." She even informed me I have
a "Parking" rather than an "Emergency Brake."
     Seems my vehicle has a duel system brake
fluid system and, when the fluid gets a little low
the warning light goes on. Go around a curve and
the fluid flows from one side to the other, thus
turning the light on and off.
     The big problem, at least for me, is vehicle
design! 
      Why is the lever closest to the Parking brake
the Hood Release while the lever closest to the
hood used as the Brake Release? Yes...I had used
the wrong one! Don't rub it in!
      Any how the brakes are fine so there's no
stopping me now! That doesn't seem logical
does it?
      Hope your "Parking brake" stops your car in
an "emergency" and that all your NEWS is good!

      (P.S. My first "Grand parenting column"
is included in "Valley Child" in today's edition
of the Scranton Times Tribune. Hope you'll
get a copy and check it out!)












































     

No comments:

Post a Comment