Sunday, February 10, 2013

Stranded!


    We cancelled a planned luncheon with friends
from New York in Binghamton on Friday because
of the storm forecasts that dominated the media
throughout the day Thursday.
     The snow hit in the afternoon and evening, as
expected, so we probably could have made it
there, had lunch, and come right back. But I was
not about to tempt fate.....again!
      The roads around our place were in pretty
good shape when I went out to shovel yesterday
morning. But when I came back inside to check
the TV some horrible memories came to mind!
The newscasts were filled with pictures of
drivers who headed out in the storm in New England
and spent the night in their cars!
       It happened to me! Twice!
       During one especially bad winter I was sent to
central Pennsylvania to cover the story of some
people who had been trapped by a landslide along
a rural road. We were able to get video of some of
the people when the road was reopen and some
interviews as well.They got out. But I got stuck!
      As we started back the snow started again.
      We were driving along a mountainous section
of Interstate 80 when everything came to a stop.
We stayed in the same spot from about 7pm till
6 the next morning. This was not my favorite
night!
       The second time involved an assignment in
Schuylkill County. My cameraman and I were not
far from McAdoo on Interstate 81 when heavy
snow and accidents somewhere up ahead closed
that highway tight as a drum! Once again we sat
from early evening till 6 or 6:30 the next morning.
It was in March. I remember because we had a
battery powered TV and were able to watch a bit
of the final March Madness Basketball game.
        Having "entertainment" did not improve my
evening! We were low on gas. We could only run
the engine for a couple minutes every half hour.
Those were the minutes when we had heat!
         Lunch had long been digested and, when
you don't have food, you get hungry!
         Thirdly, there were no rest rooms anywhere
in sight! When you're stranded, this can be a
problem!
         I generally try to avoid the Interstate system
when there's a chance of any substantial snow. If
you're stranded on secondary roads at least there's
a chance someone will take you in!
         We lucked out around our area this time.
And, admittedly, while the snow was falling around
my place I turned up the thermostat, enjoyed some
Pork roast, and was glad to know the "facilities"
were just down the hall!
        Hope you weathered the storm well and that
all your NEWS is good!


























         
       

              

No comments:

Post a Comment