Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Toast To The Day!


        Raise your glass to toast this historic
 day my friends!
        It's December 5th.....Repeal Day!
        It was on this day, in 1933, the State
of Utah ratified the 21st Amendment to the
U.S. Constitution. Its vote, added to that of
other states, meant that 3/4 of the states had
agreed to repeal the 18th Amendment!
       That put an end to Prohibition!
       Of course history shows us that rather
than preventing people from getting alcohol
Prohibition actually gave birth to the illegal
Speak Easy Industry.
       I remember visiting a commercial
building in downtown Scranton a few years
ago in which, I was told, the basement was
used as a Speak Easy. The entry door was
located in an alley.....right across the street
from the former Police Station.
      I was also given to understand that officers
used that door from time to time. And not for
raids! 
      Seems to me that time period provided a
great lesson that still applies today!
      If you want people to buy something, just
tell them they can't have it! You'll have to fight
them off! 
      I don't know why they needed Prohibition
anyway. I sure didn't need an anti drinking law
after my first outing left me sick as a dog!
Now I pretty much limit myself to a glass of
wine from time to time!
      Anyway. you can pop the cork and celebrate
Repeal Day now.....as long as you're 21! So here's
to you kid. Hope all your NEWS is good!





No comments:

Post a Comment