Saturday, December 14, 2013

Cliff Hangers!


    I used to love to go to the movies every
Saturday and, to me, the feature film was
almost always secondary!
    I came to see the Serials, or Chapters as
they were sometimes called.
    These 15 to 20 minute presentations
featured heroes like Superman, Batman,
Commando Cody, and a host of Cowboy
stars.
    Each week they'd find themselves or co
stars in perilous situations, usually facing
what seemed like imminent death and.....
that's where the episode would suddenly
end!
    You'd have to come back the following
week to see how those in peril were saved.
Then, after 13 Chapters or so, you'd see
how the good guys finally triumphed over
the bad guys.
     So, with that background in mind, I
found myself glued to the television
yesterday as the Old Forge Blue Devil
Football team took on a Pittsburgh area
Catholic School for the PIAA State
Championship.
     Each quarter was like one of those
movie serials for me. The tight score
built up a tension similar to the one I
felt while watching those weekly episodes
all those years ago.
    It got even worse when regulation play
ended in a tie!
    My hopes were raised when the "home
team" (Old Forge) scored first in Overtime
with a Touchdown and extra point.
    It was a Cliff hanger!
    But something went wrong. The
other guys scored right away....then
successfully pulled off a two point play
to win the game!
     I was stunned!
     After all, to me, the "Home team" represents
the "Good guys" and we all know the good
guys always win!
      Then again, I suppose if you get to the
State Championship game, lead most of the way,
go into overtime, take the lead but then lose
by just one point, you've got to be considered
a winner!
      Well done Old Forge!
       Hope you're holding you heads high and
that all your NEWS is good!

















     
    

No comments:

Post a Comment