Monday, December 23, 2013

Check Point Sam!


    My wife and I had to do some shopping
yesterday to stock up for Christmas Eve
festivities at our house.
    We had several options. But the closest
outlet on our route was Sam's Club.
    Shopping at Sam's Club is an adventure!
    First, you've got to get in the door.
    In case you don't already know, you've
got to have a Membership to shop at Sam's.
I, of course, do not. So, I was only allowed
in because my wife had a Sam's Club Card.
    Problem is, her card was actually issued
to a family member who has since listed
another person on the account. So, technically,
neither my wife or I should have been allowed
inside.
    But we lucked out! In its infinite benevolence,
or maybe because somebody at the corporate
level decided it might be good to accept
every body's money at Christmastime, we happen
to stop in on a FREE shopping day.
     Don't get me wrong. None of the merchandise
was free. But everybody was given a sort of
Pass to get them in to shop. Thanks Sam!
     I'm not sure we'll pursue a membership on our
own. Something seems basically wrong to have to
buy a membership, essentially paying to spend
money. I mean I'm not great on math. But if
you're paying $45 for admission and buy
a product marked down to $35, it seems to me
you're still ten bucks in the hole!
     To be completely fair, you could go in to
shop, not buy anything, and still sample
enough food at stations set up throughout the store,
to feed yourself lunch. Do that everyday and I'm
sure your $45 membership will pay off.
     Of course Sam's tends to sell product in bulk.
So, if you need a ton of anything this may be
your place.
     The other thing that bugs me just a bit is the
fact there are no bags in which to pack your
purchase! Clerks do have various sized boxes
scattered on the floor around their check out
registers so, if you're lucky, you may find some
sort of container to hold your purchases!
      Of course getting out is as risky as trying to
get in! An employee waits by the exit and tries
to match the items listed on your receipt with
what he or she sees in your box or cart,
      Reminds me of Berlin when the wall was
still in place!
      Anyhow we got our goods and were able to
cross the border, I mean get out the exit, where
we loaded our supplies in the van. We had to
keep the box though. Maybe someday I'll take
it back! Hope I can get in....and that all your
NEWS is good!



No comments:

Post a Comment