Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Stranded with the 5th Grade!

    WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 4TH

    If you ever find yourself stranded in the
forest better hope it's with the 5th graders
from the Bear Creek Community Charter
School.
     I was there last night to see what the kids
in my grandson's class had put together for
their open house evening. And I, and others,
were impressed with their work.
    The students had to design presentations
involving various survival skills.
     They were, of course, targeting the woods
as opposed to shopping malls.
      My grandson's team took on hunting and
fishing concepts such as how to fashion your
own fishing rod from a tree branch. I know
that one works from personal experience!
      Years ago my uncle took me fishing and I
was upset because I wasn't getting any bites on
my brand new S&H Green Stamp fishing rod.
My uncle suggested it was "too bright." He 
tied my line on a fallen branch and, within
minutes, I had a string of fish!
        These kids took on other challenges as well!
        Some explained how to start fire without
matches. Another team demonstrated how to
purify water in the field, how to build a shelter,
how to use a compass or make one if you had
to!
        And, just in case some of those other skills
didn't work out another team o students demonstrated
how to deal with hypothermia!
         I don't remember having projects or lessons
like this when I was in 5th grade.
        As I recall, the key to survival back then was
getting your math home work in on time. I think I
would have enjoyed making a fishing rod out of a
branch a lot more than my times tables!
        Or maybe some lessons on how to survive 5th
Grade!
         Hope you're ready to survive whatever comes
your way and that all your NEWS is good!









No comments:

Post a Comment