Sunday, November 1, 2015

RSVP

   MONDAY, NOVEMBER 2ND.

                RSVP

     I got a couple invitations in the
mail last week. Both require RSVP's.  
     One is to a Holiday party (we
used to call it a Christmas party).
     The other was a summons for jury
duty!
    I have always been a strong supporter
of our Judicial system. I believe every
one should serve on a jury at least
once. And I mean sit on a jury in an
actual case. Not just show up and wait
to hope you won't get picked.
    I sat on two juries over a number of
years. And given the fact I was a news
reporter that's a little unusual. Most
people in the news business won't get
picked for a jury. And that, to me, is a
shame!
    If you're a fair reporter you should be
able to take in both sides of a story. Of
course if you're reporting both sides of
a story you're not suppose to make a
personal judgment as to which side is
"right." But that's part of the job when
you're on a jury.
   Sometimes it's easier than others.
   One of the trials for which I was picked
as a juror involved a man charged with
drunk driving. There were only two
witnessed. The Police officer who
arrested the man and took his blood
alcohol level and the defendant who
claimed he wasn't the driver even though
he was the only person in the car. Dah!!!!
    It took us 9 minutes to find him guilty
and we waited 8 of those minutes just to
be polite!
    Afterwards we found out this had been
his 4th DUI!
     The questionnaire that accompanies your
jury summons asks a mess of questions.
They're all designed to make you show why
you shouldn't be selected.
     You are asked, for instance, if jury
service would be an inconvenience. I don't
know too many people who wouldn't be
inconvenienced by a week away from "life"
sitting around in uncomfortable chairs
waiting to be hauled into a courtroom and
questioned as to who you know, are you
related to a police officer or an attorney, and
have you ever been on trial yourself.
    That said I still believe everyone  should
serve on a jury at least once.
    As for me, two times was the charm. The
last two questions on the summons revel
that.....if you're 70 or over.....you may be
excused if you so desire.
    I am,.so desire and have sent my RSVP
indicating I will not be attending.
    I do, however, expect to go to the party!
    Hope I checked the right box on the
right invitation and that all your NEWS is
good!

No comments:

Post a Comment