Thursday, November 5, 2015

Turn Your Radio On!

   FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 6TH.

GET IN TOUCH WITH GOD.
  TURN YOUR RADIO ON!

   My title comes from an old song
recorded by a number of artists
over the years. But its message
is accurate for people who tune
in WRGN radio in Sweet Valley.
It's a Christian station broadcasting
inspirational music and discussion
programs 24-hours-a day, 7 days a
week.
     Yesterday, its programming
included me!
     For a couple hours each fall
I get back into my radio roots by
helping with the station's annual
fund raising campaign. It's called
Share-A-Thon.
     As a non commercial station
WRGN depends on listeners and
area corporations to donate enough
money to pay its small staff and
cover all the bills. Share-A-Thon
is a three day effort to try to get
the funds needed to do the job.
      It was fun to be back in radio
if only for a couple hours. I like
the idea of a truly local station
that exists purely on faith and
the support of its listeners.
      Most of the commercial
radio stations I worked for
would have folded in a week if
they had to depend on their
listeners sending in money.
       I volunteer my time at the
Share-A-Thon. I never expected
to get any rewards for sitting
behind the microphone. So
imagine my surprise when
another regular volunteer showed
up with a couple 'Thank you
presents" for my participation.
      They call him the Duct Tape
Man and, as the name implies,
he makes things out of Duct Tape.
I haven't seen so much creativity
since "Red Green" was on TV!
      So I walked away from my
return to radio with a handful of
Duct Tape roses and a Duct Tape
Hat! The hat fits well. I haven't
tried to get it off just yet!
     Hope you'll considering supporting
WRGN during Share-A-Thon and that
all your NEWS is good.



No comments:

Post a Comment