Tuesday, November 3, 2015

THE CROWDED POLLS!

   WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 4TH.

        THE CROWDED POLLS!

     I had heard all the predictions.
Turnout for yesterday's General
Election was expected to be light at
best.
     So imagine my surprise when my
wife and I pulled up to our polling
place and found the parking lot
jammed! There was a crowd of
people outside. We fully expected
a long wait before we actually got
to cast our ballots! Nope. Not true!
     Turns out those folks standing
around were volunteers waiting to
greet voters with cards designed to
make us vote for the candidates
they represented. They were also
the people whose cars had filled
up so many of those parking spaces!
      I didn't know every name on
the ballot. But I have to tell you
I don't often make a decision two
two minutes before voting because
someone handed me a card bearing
the photo of a candidate.
      I'm now wondering if one of the
reasons for poor turnout is the fear
of having to run the gauntlet of political
workers just to get to the voting
booth! Or maybe the fear they'll be
no place to park.
      As I've written before, there was
a day when these poll workers used to
hand out useful items like emery boards,
magnets, combs, or pens. The best use I've
found for the cards thus far is to use the
blank side for notes. If there's printing
on both sides they're either tossed or
used  to clean out food particles lodged
between teeth.
      So make a note candidates. Have
your workers handout something really useful!
And park somewhere else!
       Hope you get those campaign signs down
quickly and that all your NEWS is good!



No comments:

Post a Comment