Monday, March 12, 2018

BOOK 'EM DANNO!


   TUESDAY, MARCH 13TH., 2018
             BOOK 'EM DANNO!

    My dear friend Sue Henry from WILK
Radio posted a question on Facebook
yesterday that's getting a lot of attention.
     Sue asked if those phone books,
wrapped in plastic and thrown onto your
lawn might be considered litter? It's a
good question.
      We have a whole lot of mail boxes
set up at the entrance to our development.
For the past 4 weeks or so some 50 or more
of those phone books have been scattered
on the ground in front of those boxes waiting,
I suppose, for anxious customers to pick them
up and take them home.
        There was a time when people looked
forward to getting their telephone directory.
I remember being sort of proud when we
moved into our home some 49 years ago and
I spotted our name, address and phone number
in the new phone book. I had been published!
          These days most people have cell phones
and don't make the directory.
           In fact the old directories play second
fiddle to what has become a "Yellow Pages
Directory." There are still a few pages of names
and home numbers but the bulk of the new
books are ads and numbers for business places.
            I usually put one in the house and throw
another in the trunk of the car. Neither get used
very much! And, admittedly, when they are used
it's to find the number of a business place.
             While they can be handy, even if seldom,
I'd like it a lot better it one were actually brought
to the house.
              Those 50 or more books dropped in
front of our mailboxes have now been subjected
to about 4 snow storms, ice, rain, and wind.
                Without question at our place they
are litter!
               Now I suppose someone with a flat
tire or in need of  finding someone who chops
down trees may swing by, pick one up, and
search for a name and number. Barring that
I would think a book burning might be in
order. Problem is, there's an unwritten law
that the moment you pick up litter, it's yours!
Since it's already pretty clear no one wants
the books I'm guessing that's not likely to
happen.
               Maybe somebody could open one
and find a number for a litter pickup company!
As far as I know littering is still against the
law! So perhaps the best option would be to
catch whoever is dumping those directories
and "Book 'em Danno!"
                Hope you made the book and that
all your NEWS is good!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, David! I keep my phone book. I don't know why, I guess habit. I use the Internet to search for numbers but just having that phone book keeps me tethered to a time when we used them.

    ReplyDelete