Monday, March 5, 2018

FORGETTING THE ALAMO?


   TUESDAY, MARCH 6TH., 2018
     FORGETTING THE ALAMO?

    I admit to being a bit discouraged
as I write this blog.
    Ever since a group of less than
200 patriots died defending a small
mission in San Antonio, Texas against
4 or 5,000 Mexican soldiers 182 years
ago today we've been encouraged to
"Remember the Alamo."
     It was a battle cry that lead to the
creation of the Republic of Texas
which, of course, became our 28th
State in 1845.
     The Alamo is still well remembered
in Texas but I fear it's being forgotten
here in Pennsylvania.
      As I've pointed out in previous
Blogs three men from Mifflin County
Pennsylvania, near the community of
Lewistown  traveled to Texas to join the fight
for Independence and died at the Alamo!
      In fact there were 15 Pennsylvanians
at the Alamo. And one other who was sent out
of the mission before the final battle to search
for supplies.
      Years back I took Chopper 22 to
Lewistown where people gathered around
a monument to their three local Alamo
heroes to celebrate their memory.
       The monument is still there but I've
been told there hasn't been a ceremony
since 2009!
        I'm still trying to verify that story
but if it's true I would consider it to be a
real shame! Unfortunately it may also be
a trend.
         When the Homebuilder's Association
spruced up the Mt. Joe Palooka monument
along Route 309 last year I was surprised
at the number of people who had never
heard of the cartoon character created by
Wilkes-Barre native Ham Fisher.
           I wonder how many people have
seen the markets on the trail along the
Susquehanna River in Pittston to the
Knox Mine Disaster? Or how many
area High School students could tell
you what happened there or how it
affected the region's biggest industry?
          I'm spoiled. I like history and
have lived through a lot of it around
here!
          I'd like to see more of it
remembered. And that includes the
Alamo!
          Hope you remember and that
all your NEWS is good.
      





No comments:

Post a Comment