Sunday, June 2, 2019

HANG 'EM HIGH!


   MONDAY, JUNE 3RD., 2019
          HANG 'EM HIGH!

   Before any of you begin tying
a noose allow me to point out this
is "International Clothesline Week!"
    We used to have a clothesline in
the backyard of the house where I
grew up in Hazleton. My Mom
hung the wet clothes on it with\
clothespins every laundry day.
       My buddies and I used one
of the metal posts as a goal or a
"free home spot" for all kinds of
back yard games.
        All the neighbors had one
and they all used them!
        When my wife and I first
moved into our home we had one
of those clothes racks. A single
pole held lines on 4 sides on
which the clothes could dry.
        Somewhere along the line,
I don't remember just when,
developments began prohibiting
clotheslines. They seemed to believe
the sight of clothes hanging on a
line was a turn off for would be
buyers or renters.
         So. in many areas, the
clothesline went the way of the
back yard burn barrel.
          Interesting in these days
when we're all encouraged to
think about conservation we're
burning up electricity instead
of allowing Mother Nature to
do the work naturally. I still see
a lot of clotheslines out in the
country and out of the country as
in other nations. They must still
make clothesline rope!
            I wouldn't do away with
your dryer. It will get plenty of
use on all those rainy days we've
been seeing.
           Still, I'm hoping the
clothesline will make a comeback
and that all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment