Friday, June 14, 2019

Y?


   SATURDAY, JUNE 15TH., 2019
                        Y?

   I am saddened to hear the news that
the Hazleton YWCA is about to
become a "used to be." The "Y" will
be closing on June 30th.
   When I was growing up Hazleton
had two "Y's." The YWCA and the
YMCA.
    Even if you've never been a member
you have certainly heard of the latter in
that infamous audience participation
song.
    I practically grew up in the YMCA.
The initials, just in case you don't know,
representative "Young Men's Christian
Association." The YWCA was the
women's counterpart.
    But don't let the name fool you.
One of the most active members in
my circle was a young Jewish boy.
    The "Y," either one, was the
original "health and civic club" in
our community.
     We had a swimming pool, a
weight room, ping pong and pool
tables and two bowling lanes. I set
pins there or a time but well before
that I listened to old radio programs
like "The Shadow" and "Fibber McGee
and Molly" while my Dad bowled in
one of the regular Men's league there.
     There were clubs for the kids.
     I was President of the Model
Train and Rifle Club, taught
archery there and, believe it or not,
was Chaplin of our "High Y Club."
     My Dad actually met my Mom
while she was attending a meeting
at the YWCA. The Projection booth
at the old Grand Movie Theater had
a window that overlooked a window
in the room where my Mom's group
had gathered. They struck up a
conversation and, as they say, the
rest is history.
      We played on the streets back
then but it was great to have
structured indoor activities at the
"Y."
       I was never inside the YWCA
but there was a old story I believe to
be true that reported the swimming
pool in that building was built below
the elevation of the city sewer lines
and consequently, was never used.
       Years after I left my hometown
both of the old buildings were closed
and demolished and a brand new "Y"
was built just a couple blocks away.
        I was inside a couple times and
was very impressed by both the
building and the programs that were
being offered. My two oldest grandkids
took swimming lessons there.
        The Board cited ongoing financial
problems for its decision to close. One
report indicated it reached out to
community leaders for help. But it
hasn't come. WHY?
 I'm wondering if that reach included Hazleton
native Joe Maddon who manages the
Chicago Cubs Baseball team and who
has headed a number of efforts to bring
people in the community together?
         Seems to me everybody in town
should be singing the praise of the
YMCA (or W) and coming together
to save this wonderful institution.
         Hope they do so that all their
NEWS, and yours, is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment