Thursday, June 6, 2019

MAIL CALL!


    FRIDAY, JUNE 7TH., 2019
              MAIL CALL!

  Every year, usually in April or
May, I'm asked to speak to a group
about my connection to a local
story stemming from the sinking of
the RMS Titanic.
   One of those speaking engagements
always takes place at the Bear Creek
Charter School where third graders
make up the audience.
    This evening my daughter, who
works at the school, hand delivered
a large stack of thank you notes from
the students who sat in on my
presentation.
     This year their teacher asked them
to include a note about something they
learned from my talk. I'm amazed by
their selections. I guess I made an
impression. I'm just not sure how big
it was.
     At least two students wrote they
learned the Titanic hit an iceberg! That's
a fact I'm glad they didn't miss.
     One wrote she didn't know babies
were on board the doomed ship and
two were surprised that Jack Dawson
wasn't a real person.
     One wrote a thank you but explained
he actually didn't hear the speech because
he was out sick. He assured me he probably
would have enjoyed the presentation! This
is a youngster with faith!
      Two mentioned Milton Hershey. One
correctly learned he wasn't aboard Titanic
but one heard me wrong and assumed the
Chocolate giant had sailed and escaped
the disaster. The existence of Hershey
Chocolate bars proves, in his case, it's
sometimes a good thing to miss the
boat!
      I'm wondering how many may
believe I covered the story when it
happened! No matter what you may think
that's not true.
       Hope I get invited back and that all
your NEWS is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment