Monday, June 17, 2019

LIKE SO WELL.


   TUESDAY, JUNE 18TH. 2019
          LIKE SO WELL

  I always liked the "Dragnet" police
stories, First on radio then on
television.
   The lead character, Sgt. Joe Friday.
always questioned witness and
suspects and admonished them to
give "just the facts."
    As a news reporter I was always
looking for the facts too and I
appreciated it so much when the
people I questioned just answered
the questions.
     Back then though some 80%
of all answers began with the word
"well." You'd hear "Well you see,"
and the sentence would move on from
there.
     Some 10 to 15 years ago I noticed
a change. A lot of people, especially
young people, began answering
questions with the word "like.:
     "Like, you know" seemed to
beat out "Well, you see."
      Seems we're entering a new
era. I was listening to the radio
the other day and heard two
different interviews on two
different stations in which the
person being interviewed began
most of their answers with the
word "so."
       (Q) What's causing this
unusual weather?" (A) So,
there are several contributing
factors."
       None of this upsets me,
although it would have driven
Sgt. Friday crazy.
       It's just interesting
to note these changes of habit.
      So, hope all your NEWS
is like, well good!
     
   
     

No comments:

Post a Comment