Saturday, June 8, 2019

LOOKING BACK, TO OUR FUTURE!


       SATURDAY, JUNE 8TH., 2019
  LOOKING BACK, TO OUR FUTURE!

    My wife and I joined other family members
at the 2nd Graduation Ceremony we've
attended during the past two weeks.
     Both brought back memories of graduations
past, including my own.
     In addition to the traditional cap and gown
there were the traditional messages of
optimism for the future of all the graduates
and the challenge to move boldly ahead in
life.
     I dusted off a couple of mementos of my
school days yesterday. They're aren't a lot to
review.
     A copy of our Junior High School
newspaper included a "Will" the 9th graders
were leaving behind for the next class. I was
on the newspaper staff but don't remember
who actually wrote the will.
      It includes a line leaving my "dependability"
to a couple underclassmen. I would hope that
is a trait someone really saw in me and that
I've lived up to it in all the years that followed.
      I also found an instruction sheet that went
to my graduating high school class in 1960 just
before graduation day.
      We were reminded "When you are seated
in the stadium remember that there are many
townspeople who are also there. Your behavior
determines the feeling of them toward your
school." We were admonished to "assume
dignified positions."
       The instructions also reminded us we
were to report back to the high school after
commencement to receive our actual diploma
AFTER we returned our caps and gowns! We
were permitted to keep the tassel but for the
life of me I can't remember where I might
have put mine for future use.
       I think our class did pretty well with
regard to their immediate goals. Most went
to college. My yearbook writeup includes
the line "hopes to become a radio announcer"
so that worked out. And radio eventually
lead to television.
        I hope this year's graduates have a
great future, wonderful memories, and
that all their NEWS is good!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment