Saturday, April 14, 2012

Surviving the signing of Titanic!

   Nope...I don't mean the "sinking" of Titanic!
   I mean the "signing!"
   A good friend of mine, Bill Lewis, has just
published a book about all of the passengers on
the RMS Titanic who were headed to Wilkes-
Barre, Pennsylvania!
    In fact 15 of the ship's passengers listed
Wilkes-Barre as their final destination.
    Bill's book included the stories of Mae
Thomas' mother and Dolores Elias' grand
mother and two uncles, all of whom escaped
the sinking ship.
    And I made the book too! My involvement
involved some reporter-type detective work
that reunited Mae Thomas' mother with
another Titanic survivor who saved her
child the night of the sinking.
    So, Bill invited Mae, and Dolores, and me
to a "book signing" at the Luzerne County
Historical Society Museum last night.
    Now as a broadcaster for over 50 years
I've signed a few autographs from time to
time. Little did I know what we were in for!
    The line began to form at 5 o'clock!
    Within minutes that line was down one
flight of stairs and out the front door!
     We finally stopped signing right around
8PM!
    My thumb and fingers are still frozen as
though holding a pen!
    After 90 or so books I found my
signature becoming less recognizable...at
least to me. I'm sure Bill, Mae, and Dolores
are .....if you'll excuse the expression......
"in the same boat!"
     It's nice to know so many people are
interested in local people who have
connections to the Titanic saga. I'm just
hoping they don't think I was there
because I covered the event!
    Hope you'll get a chance to read the
book, meet Mae and Dolores, and that
all your NEWS is good!






















No comments:

Post a Comment