Tuesday, April 3, 2012

You Can't Get There From Here!

  There's no shortage of direction signs to
get motorists onto Interstate 81 between
Wilkes-Barre and Scranton.
   Yesterday, however, those signs should
have read "Parking Lot Filled."
   The construction season has begun and
the northbound backup started near
Wilkes-Barre and continued pretty much
to the Electric City.
   I was headed to Scranton to host a
weekly show I do on Electric City
Television.
   The drive usually takes about 20 minutes.
   I couldn't risk being late for the program
so I diverted to the Turnpike.
   But just as I drove on to the entrance lane
three huge Penn Dot trucks managed to block
the ramp to Scranton as they ran
interference for a forth vehicle that was,
or appeared to be, spraying water along
side of the road.
   At least they were moving. So, 3 minutes
later,I found myself safely on my way.
   I'm glad I wasn't late for the show/
   My two guests were from the Pennsylvania
Department of Transportation and I wouldn't
have wanted to keep them waiting!
    We talked about a lot of things like
texting and the new Junior License requirements.
    We also talked about construction and
efforts the state is making to keep drivers
up to date on repair projects and alternate
routes. What I didn't ask about......and should
have....was traffic control!
    I can remember a time when an officer
would have been posted near the spot where
lanes were to merge when one was closed.
    He would control the flow which, although
often slow, would usually keep moving.
    Now what you see is a parked State Police
car with flashing lights just before the backup
begins and usually just past the exit you could
have used to escape the mess!
     Well, like I said, construction season has
begun! And, as baseball players are fond of
saying......"It's a long season!"
      Hope you know another way to get from
here to there and that all your NEWS is good!








  

No comments:

Post a Comment