Thursday, April 12, 2012

That's Not Funny!

   I happened to walk past an establishment
that brought back a few memories and
raised a few questions the other day!
   I don't know what grabbed my attention
first. Either the Superman emblem or,
perhaps, the Batman Logo! Spider-man's
face was there too. But he wasn't my
favorite "Super Hero."
   They all appeared in Comic Books
when I was growing up. And I was a
comic book fan!
    There was a great selection. The
aforementioned Superman and Batman
were always popular. But I also enjoyed
the "Funny Books" that were designed to
be funny!
    Scrooge McDuck was one of my
very favorites. Donald's uncle was so
rich he measured his money by depth
rather than counting out the dollars.
   And you could enjoy reading about his
wealth, or Superman's X-Ray Vision, or
the Bat Mobile for just one thin dime!
    I didn't stop in the Comic Book Shop
this time. But I've got to check it out
the next time I'm in the neighborhood.
    I doubt I'll find anything for a dime.
    I just checked a few of my old
favorite comics on line and......"Holly
Inflation Batman!"
    EBay is currently offering a 1940
Batman edition (the ten cent price
still posted on the cover). You can "Buy
it Now" for $615.00!
   I found one featuring Uncle Scrooge
McDuck going for around 9 bucks. But
that's still a tall pile of dimes (if you're
measuring by depth!)
   Guess I should have saved more.
   Not my dimes......my old comic
books!!!!!
    Hope you've got a few of the "classics"
to read and that all of your NEWS is
good!










4 comments:

  1. Haha, I haven't been to Rubber Mallet Comics yet, but now I know what their sign looks like! I'll miss Sam Chairge being behind the counter, but it's good to know the business will carry on - now in the "new" old location!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and come Free Comic Book Day, which I think is May 5th this year, you'll find comics for a lot less than a dime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flagrant self promotion: RUBBER MALLET COMICS 802 Wyoming Avenue, West Pittston, PA ... hope you stop in some day, Mr. DeCosmo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's funny Dave, is the phone number of the store used to be one of the phone numbers for WARD!

    ReplyDelete