Sunday, October 14, 2012

76 Trombones!

    I found myself back behind the microphone last
night. But this time it wasn't on television or even
on the radio. 
    I was in the Press box at an area football stadium.
    But there wasn't any game!
    I had been recruited to do the public address system
announcing for a "Tournament of Bands" Marching
Band competition.
    10 regional High School Marching Bands put
together elaborate precision performances and
showed their routines before a stadium full of fans
and a hand full of critical judges.
     They also came up with lengthy scripts
describing their programs and naming, it seemed,
every human who, in any way, had anything to
do with their band, their uniforms, their music,
and their marching.
    Those scripts came to me.
    There was a time when I could rattle off names
like Joseph Kasavubu (first President of the Republic
of the Congo) or Patrice Lumumba (the first legally
elected Prime Minister there).
     But names have become more difficult for me
over the years.
     Eyesight could be part of the reason. More and more
lists look to have been printed "out of focus."  OK.
Maybe it's not the print.
     But "contemporary" names seem a lot different
than those I use to come across. You don't find many
"Marys" or "Judy's" these days,
     Now-a-days you're more likely to come across
monikers like 'Moyra" or "Chelsea" and they're
not always spelled the way you would imagine!
     And those are just the first names.
     It was like being back at work!
     Of course the real work was being preformed by
the students out on the field.
     These bands don't just walk across the field
playing an instrument.
     They do routines, march in various formations,
play some terrific music, and tell stories through
their march and music!
      I had it hard enough walking up the steps to the
booth! I didn't even bring my harmonica.......a fact
which always pleases my wife!
     I never actually got to count the number of
trombones on the field.
     I only know there were plenty of kids and they
all sounded and looked pretty darn good to me!
     I hope you're marching to a drummer whose name
you can pronounce.....and that all your NEWS is
good!



























 









 


No comments:

Post a Comment