Friday, October 12, 2012

...And Carry A Big Stick!


  I try to get a walk in everyday. Usually about a
mile.
  Lately I've been getting a little attention.
  A few folks see me on ECTV.
  A few remember me from Channel 22.
  And a few have stopped me to ask me about my
"Walking stick!"
  It was given to me by a friend we met in church
a couple of years ago.
  It's made from some sort of southern tree or
root and has a glaze that shines in the sunlight.
  I don't really need a walking stick.
  I can walk along just fine on my own two feet.
  But, since I had it, I decided to use it. And I'm
glad I did!
   It gives you a sort of "secure" feeling when you
envision any unwelcome interruption to your stroll
by a man eating beast. I haven't come across any
so far. But you never know!
   I don't believe anyone has tried to stop me to
ask for money since I've been using the stick.
   You can actually "push off" with the stick when
you're headed uphill. It gives you a little extra
thrust!
   But the biggest benefit seems to be the stick's
propensity to open a dialog with people I
pass along the way.
   Half of the people who take the time to say
anything more than "Hello" ask about the
walking stick.
   I tell most I use it to part puddles in my
path when I'm walking in the rain. Or that it
sometimes turns into a snake!
  That usually gets a smile. Or, sometimes, a
very strange stare!
   I guess I don't look a lot like Moses. Or even
Charlton Heston!
   Of course I can't really do those things. Although,
come to think of it,  I haven't really tried!
   Maybe next walk!!!!
   Hope you're stopping to talk during your busy
day and that all your NEWS is good!


























  

No comments:

Post a Comment