Monday, October 1, 2012

Sneaky Commercials!


  I know it's "Election Time."
  I was in the radio and TV business for a lot of
years and expect to see and hear a lot of
political commercials at this time of the year!
   It's the "sneaky commercials" that have me
pretty much fed up!
   They've been coming by telephone on a
regular basis for a few weeks now.
    You're busy with something but stop
whatever you're doing to answer the phone.
    There's usually a brief pause just after
your "Hello."
     That's followed by a recorded message
offered on behalf of some local, state, or
national political candidate.
      I've never heard a complete message.
      I hand up way before they end.
      I might actually be encouraged to vote
for one of the candidates if they pledged
to add political calls to my "Do Not Call
List!"
      As if the phone calls at all hours weren't
enough I have finally become fed up with
the Facebook "commercials."
      A few of my Facebook "Friends" feel
it's necessary to continually pass along
posts about politics.
      Most of those posts are not offered as
glowing endorsements of a candidate or
cause my friends support.  95% of them
are negative or comical portrayals of the
candidate or candidates they are
opposing.
     A couple of my friends have been
producing these political postings at an
astounding rate and, last week, I began to
notice they were filling my page!
     Admittedly they usually come from
friends with long standing political
connections.
    One is a former mayor. Another did
PR work for some former county officials
(who are now serving time) and still has
a political job with the state. A  few come
from people I consider to be "civilians"
when it comes to politics.
     Whatever the source....I'm not
interested!
     I intend to remain publicly neutral, and as
objective as possible, just as I did throughout
my news career.
     I still consider these folks "friends",
at least in a general sense. But I've
"Unfriended" some for now until the
elections are over. You might want to
consider doing the same.
     Political opinions being thrust on me
are a lot like the stuff the "Pickets" search
for. You know...one man's treasure is
another man's trash!
     Hope you can find better sources for
your decisions and that all your NEWS
is good!


















 
 






    

No comments:

Post a Comment