Sunday, March 24, 2013

Stairway To Heven!


  The lyrics of Neil Sedaka's popular song kept
rolling through my mind. Over and over again.
"Climb up, way up high, climb up, way up high."
 And that's exactly what I was doing! Climbing
 and climbing.
    We had gone to visit the Currituck Beach
 Lighthouse in the historic Corolla Village of
 North Carolina and my daughter, grandson,
 grand daughter, and I decided it would be fun
 to pay the modest 7$ admission price and climb
 to the top for a look around.
     As you might expect one long spiral staircase
 winds it's way up and up. It's about 160 feet tall
 and made completely of brick.
     Officially, there's 214 steps to the narrow
 walkway that encircles the huge light. They
 failed to count the 6 that lead into the entry area.
 I counted those too!!!!!!!!!
    There are small landings every so often so I
 was able to stop occasionally, catch my breath
 and take a puff from my inhale!
     Most people know enough not to look down
 the center area or through the open grate steps
 supporting you. But I did anyway. It's a long
 way down!
      220 steps later I stepped through a doorway
under the lens tower and onto that walkway on
top. I found my fellow climbers, who had beaten
me to the top by about ten minutes, with their
backs planted firmly against the lighthouse wall
so as not to be too close to the railing that
separated us from the drop!
      A photo of my wife, who stood on the ground,
gives one some perspective of the height!
      I couldn't help but wonder about the endurance
of the original lighthouse keeper who probably had
to make several trips up and down everyday to
make sure the light was ready to protect the seamen
who depended on its beam for navigation around
the waters that have become known as the "Graveyard
of the Atlantic." At night when that beacon is
illuminated it can be seen for 18 nautical miles!
    Come to think of it the steps I climbed seemed
about that far to my aching legs and knees!
    Hope you're got a dependable beacon guiding
 you voyage through life and that all your NEWS
 is good!















No comments:

Post a Comment