Friday, March 1, 2013

To Market, To Market, To Buy ............


   I've been "retired" since 2009 even though I'm still doing
TV at Electric City Television in Scranton. That's as a
volunteer.
   I've also been in training since 2009.
   I'm being trained as....a shopper! It has not been my most
favorite class.
   Recently, however, I've been given the chance from time
to time to "Solo." You know....get out there on my own to
bring home the bacon.....or the bread, or milk, or orange
juice. You get the picture.
    Yesterday I took off for another of my solo shopping
missions.
     These sorties can, of course, be dangerous! You've got
to follow your mission plan...sometimes know as a
shopping list. You've got to be able to negotiate a shopping
cart through and around racks of food products in addition
to other shoppers, some of them manning riding electric
vehicles! You've got to be able to resist products that look
really good to you, such as ice cream and cookies, that are
not on the list you've been assigned!
     Sometimes "Mission Control", my wife, will require
me to check "Per Unit Rates" or package weights to find
the "best buy."
     You'll have to learn a lot of little things too. Like putting
the eggs on top rather than under all the other products
you're buying.
      I did pretty well yesterday. I didn't bump into anything
or anybody. The posted prices were as expected. I didn't
buy anything on impulse. And eggs weren't even on the
list!
      I scanned the check out lanes for the shortest line then
checked for my wallet. It's important that you keep your
wallet in a safe place when you're out in a crowd! You want
to make sure your cash and credit cards are protected!
      Mine, as it happens, was in the safest place possible.
      It was at home!    I forgot it!
      Fortunately I had not yet entered the check out lane
so my embarrassment was limited to the call I made to the
rescue crew, my wife, back at the house.
      She drove out to the market while I roamed around
pretending to look at other goods.
      My wallet retrieved I completed the mission.
      Turns out I did get egg.....on my face!
      Hope you're cupboards are full and that all your
NEWS is good!


























       

No comments:

Post a Comment