Friday, March 8, 2013

The Little Engine That Could!

   I'm late everybody. And I apologize!
   As you may or may not know I'm on a
vacation trip for a couple weeks and
access to the web us not as easy as it was
back home. Right mow, for instance, I'm
parked outside a closed Library making
use of its public system.
    How I got here, of course, is quite a
story. So...I'll tell it!
    When I last checked it I was in Lorton,
VA, waiting to board the Auto Train to
Florida.
    With some 4,000 horsepower apiece
you'd think our two "little engines"
would have no problem at all pulling
us south. But wait, there's more!
   Along came Saturn! No, not the
planet or the car for that matter. It was
:Saturn" the snow storm that was hitting
parts of the east coast. Lorton was one of
those parts!
     The storm delayed the trains departure
by about an hour or so, At that point the
expected 17 and a half hour trip was
looking like 18 and a half hours.
     Then, a lot of freight trains began to
come by. Freight trains have the right of
way so passenger trains have to pull off
to a siding when the freights roll right
through. I suppose it's better that getting
tail gated  by a boxcar full of chemicals
or such!
     Even as we added quarter hours to the
trip there was still some confidence the
time might be made up. That is there was
until some man somewhere on our long,
long train had "a spell" and we waited
nearly an hour till medics could get to
the train, check him out, then drive him
away in an ambulance!
    Some 20 and one half hours later we
arrived in sunny Florida.
    But then, of course, the autos we brought
along on the Auto Train have to be
unloaded.
    I know there were 355 passengers on our
run. I believe we carried about 150 cars
plus motorcycles. Somehow my vehicle
was among the last 20 to be driven off the
train.
    Finally arriving at my sister-in-law's
I discovered that my laptop and her
wireless service somehow do not connect.
    So, here I sit in front of a closed
Library hoping the battery will hold out
long enough to get my story through to
you!
    Hope you'll put up with my "unusual"
Blog schedule for a couple weeks and that
all your NEWS is good!






































No comments:

Post a Comment