Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Surfs Up!


   I ran into the Beach Boys yesterday. Actually, I
was one of the Beach Boys yesterday!
   My Son-in-law, Grandson, and I headed onto
the sand here in North Carolina to try our hand
at some Surf fishing.
   This can be, and was, a harrowing experience!
   You bait a line attached to a weight knows as
a "Sinker." Then you cast your line as far out
into the waves as possible hoping some
unsuspecting fish cruising around those breakers
will take a bite and get caught on your hook.
   Of course to cast your line out as far as
possible you are required to stand as near to the
water as possible to make that cast.
   Now here's the thing. The ocean has no respect
for the spot where you're standing and, frequently,
the leading edge of the surf is upon your feet
before you can get out of the way!
   I don't know if any of you have experienced
the "feel" of cold ocean water on warm feet
when the air temperature is still chilly. It is a
sudden and rude reminder as to why people on
the Titanic who ended up in the water didn't
make it!
    After less than an hour on the beach my Grandson,
the youngest member of our trio at 10, decided we
might like to join the women on their shopping
expedition. A wise move indeed!
   My son-in-law and I stuck it out for over two
hours, Our only catch, however, turned out to be
each other as our lines tangled somewhere in the
turbulent tide!
   We did return home with some "seafood." I
had a substantial amount of calamari we had
been using for bait. It's in the freezer now until
we decide to have another go at it!
   Unfortunately the unmistakable odor of the
Squid seems to have embedded itself on my
hands and jeans! But....it's the closest thing to
a catch I had all day!
    Hope you've got fresh fish on your menu,
a Beach Boy's song in your mind, and that all
your NEWS is good!






























Of course the grand daughter loves the surf!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment