Saturday, May 25, 2013

Tap, Tap, Tap!


  Sure. It's much colder than it should be
for May. But there's still plenty of reasons
to celebrate!
  May 25th is National Tap Dance Day!
  It's a day created in honor of the birthday
of legendary tap dancer Bill "Bojangles" Robinson
on May 25, 1878. Heck they even wrote a song
about the guy!
  And it is a real "National Day!
  It's the result of US Joint Resolution declaring
May 25th National Tap Dance Day. President
George Bush signed it into law as a national day
on November 7, 1989.
   Now I'm not know to be much of a dancer.
Although the Hazleton Standard Speaker once
referred to me as a "supple twister" in an article
about a record hop I MC'ed back in the 60's.
   I had to look it up.
   But I do know one tap dance move and I'll
never forget it. It was taught to me by a
"Hoofer." That's a term used to describe a tap
dancer back in Vaudeville days.
    One of those Hoofers ended his stage career
opening and shutting the curtain at the start
and end of each show at the old Capitol Theater
in Hazleton.
    He showed me the step one day and I felt
very special knowing it came from a guy who
who felt he should pass one little thing along
to a kid too young to remember the real hay days
of the Vaudeville circuit.
    Of course I've got a brother-in-law who could
probably show you a lot more. He was always big
on baseball. But somewhere along the line his
parents signed him up for tap dancing lessons.
    And who knows....maybe that fancy footwork
helped him steal bases?
     So forget the cold. Tap your way through the
day whether you know how or not!
      Hope you remember Mr. "Bojangles" and
that all your NEWS is good!  
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhJOK-ESP7A
 

No comments:

Post a Comment