Friday, May 10, 2013

The Answer Is Blowing In The Wind!

   Hey gang! What day is it?
   The answer is blowing in the wind!
   It's National Windmill Day!
   The question is.....what Nation?
    My list of Bizarre and Unusual
Holidays includes Windmill Day on
May 10th. But there are no specifics.
     There was a time when any mention
of windmills would immediately make
you think of the Netherlands. They've
had windmills there for more than a
hundred years.
      But we seem to be catching up!
      The mountaintops around Bear
Creek Township, Waymart, and more
recently Noxen have become windmill
farms! I wonder what kind of seeds you
use to grow those things?
       Of course we're not using them to
grind grain. The blades spinning around
our towers are generating electricity. I'm
not sure how much of it, if any, is coming
to a wall outlet near me. But I guess it's
good to know it's powering some body's
refrigerator without sending black clouds
of smoke into the air.
    I just hope they last longer than mine!
    I had one of those lawn ornament wind
mills set up by a lake near our camper.
    A slight breeze would turn the blades
and more the wooden arrow on top to
show the direction it was blowing.
     Then, one day, a real wind came along.
     I picked up a couple of the pieces to
remind me to celebrate National Windmill  
Day. Instead I'm thinking about what
happens when we have to deal with a big
bag of wind! I've known a couple of those
in my day!
     Hope you get that answer that's blowing
in the wind and that all your NEWS is
good!




















































           

No comments:

Post a Comment