Saturday, October 4, 2014

FORE!


     I suppose a couple of you may be heading
to the links today to celebrate National Golf
Day. I won't be joining you!
     My last visit to a golf course took place
about three weeks ago. But it wasn't in the
"nation." At least not this one!
      My recent tour of Scotland included a
visit to the old course at Saint Andrews. It
is considered by many to be the "home of golf"
because the sport was first played on the Links
at St Andrews in the early 1400s.
      Because of that history the Saint Andrews
course draws big crowds. Some to play. Many
to watch. I watched!
      I gave up golf a whole lot of years ago.
      I used to go out with three other golfers,
usually my Dad, my brother, and a good family
friend.
      I only saw the others at the tee and, eventually,
at the hole. While they generally walked straight
down the course, I was usually off in the brush
or woods to my right trying to find my ball!
      My slice was so bad I used to try aiming the
wrong way in the hope I'd land somewhere near
the other guys. That didn't work either.
      I would have been a big hit at Saint Andrews
with all those spectators standing all over the place!
I'd have been shouting "Fore" until my voice gave
out!
      In all fairness, 'National Golf Day" is an event
created by the PGA which teams Pro Golfers with
Contributors whose money is used for all kinds of
charities. The date sometimes varies from one
location to another. It's sometimes held in June.
     Maybe I'll celebrate by hitting one of our area
Mini Golf courses. Al least I can usually hit the
ball straight through the Windmill towards the
hole! And any spectators should be safe. I think!
     Hope you're up to par and that all your NEWS
is good!






    

No comments:

Post a Comment