Saturday, October 11, 2014

Good Day For A Strike!


    Well it's Saturday everybody. It's a
good day for a strike!
     Of course in this case you won't need
a picket sign....just a Bowling Ball!
     October 11th is "National Family
Bowling Day!"
      A lot of Bowling centers across the
country offer free or discount sessions
today to encourage people to try out
the sport.
     My ties to bowling go back to my
teen years at the YMCA in my hometown.
I was a "Pin Boy." The "Y" didn't have
those fancy AMF machines that set up the
pins for the bowlers then sweep the downed
pins out of the way. The Pin Boys did that!
     We sat at the end of the bowling
alleys, there were two, waiting for the
players to hurl a 14 pound ball in our
direction. Some of the pins they hit
flew upward, challenging our reaction
time! Then, of course, you had to pick
up the ball and roll it down a return
ramp to the bowler!
     Years later my wife and I joined a
Bowling League. We bought our own
bowling balls, our own shoes, just about
everything we needed....except for gas
masks! You see, back then, smoking was
still allowed inside places like bowling
centers which, for some reason, usually
had low ceilings!
    Those centers had Smog long before
it got all that attention out in LA! I always
enjoyed breathing more than bowling so we
retired.
     Free bowling in smoke free centers
could lure us back to the game, especially
since I won't have to set my own pins!
     Hope you find some "spare" time
for the game and that all your NEWS is
good!  




No comments:

Post a Comment