Thursday, October 23, 2014

Tracking A Memory


    I was leaving a doctor's office yesterday
when I heard the unmistakable sound of a
train rolling nearby. I've liked that sound
every since I was a kid.
   My Mom and Dad used to take me with
them when they visited friends who had a
cottage along the banks of the Susquehanna
in Wapwallopen. In the evening I could hear
the sound of a Steam Locomotive off in the
distance as it got closer and closer to the
section of tracks just across the road from
the cottage.
    Then came that single bright light,
especially impressive coming out of the
darkness, as the train roared by us.
    But it wasn't the sound of the engine
or the light that brought back those memories
yesterday.
    It was the Caboose!
    Yes! A little red caboose was rolling
along at the end of that freight!
    They used to be a regular feature on all
the freight trains. And, back in the day, there
was usually a railroad worker sitting by the
window. I don't know if waving to the people,
especially the kids, was actually a part of
their job description. But they always did!
     Surprisingly the worker I saw yesterday
was actually riding outside on some sort of
"work car" just ahead of the caboose.
      The caboose began to disappear back
in the 1980's when Federal Safety Laws
for railroads were relaxed.
      I wasn't happy to see them go! In fact
I decided a key part of my agenda,  if I
decided to run for President, would be a
call (maybe an Executive Order) to return
the caboose to all freight trains. That alone
would probably get me elected!
     I know yesterday's vision was just an
exception to today's "norm." Probably some
sort of rail repair project that required a full
crew.
     Still, it was really great to see that "old
friend" back on the rails again!
     Hope everythings' "on track" with you
and that all your NEWS is good.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment