Saturday, October 18, 2014

The Sweetest Day!


    Break out the Hershey Bars everybody! It's
the third Saturday in October and that means
it's "The Sweetest Day." I never heard of it
before....... in spite of it's well documented
history.
    According to the Holiday Insights web page
Herbert Birch Kingston, a Cleveland, Ohio
philanthropist and candy company employee started
Sweetest Day. He wanted to bring happiness to
orphans, shut-ins and under-privileged. His intent
was to show these people that they were not
forgotten. I suppose the thought of selling more
candy never entered his mind.
    He started this "holiday in 1922 by giving candy
and small gifts. Dentists must have loved this guy!
    The day still exists as an opportunity for you to
recognize someone special and sweet! It doesn’t matter
who that person is, or what their relation to you. They
just have to be "sweet." 
    I supposed a lot of you will be looking for my
address about now. If I'm out just leave all the
goodies on the front porch! Whatever I can't eat
can be held over for Halloween!
    Hope you enjoy something sweet today and that
all your NEWS is good.




   

No comments:

Post a Comment