Friday, October 17, 2014

Little House On The......River!


  My wife and I took advantage of yesterday's
mostly sunny day and headed out in the Miata
again.
   The challenge we usually face is....which
way should we go? And somewhere "back in
time" is usually a tempting choice! So we set
out to find a house that belonged to an old
friend.
   Back in the day I had a friend whose family
lived in a heavily wooded area right along the
Delaware River.
   Their live style was much different than the
one I was used to!
   Their beautiful, semi isolated, home had no
telephone and no television. Visits there were
often spent listening to music from Broadway
musicals on the family record player.
    On two occasions I found myself forced
to spend the night. Evening fog from the
river enveloped the small windy back road
near their home like something out of a
Steven King novel! You don't drive in
a Steven King fog!!!!!!
    At one point the family decided to
enlarge their home and built on a full room
which came to be know as "the Little House."
     I helped gather rocks, large heavy rocks,
for the fireplace there.
     I remember my friend's father's Pontiac
looking like a Low Rider about to spring
forward as those rocks were loaded in the
trunk for transport. I often wondered how
long those springs actually lasted.
     The sight of the place brought back a
lot of very nice memories of an easier
time when I was still infected with youth.
     Sadly the family is gone now, the last
remaining sibling is married and moved
away. I'm told, however, the home is still
in the family although no one was around
when we made our unexpected visit.
     Sight unseen I'd wager the occupants
probably have both telephone and TV these
days. If so I'm not sure that's an improvement!
     Hope they're still listening to the music
and that all your NEWS is good!




    
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment